APF beats Dharan FC 2-1

apf vs dharan fc

Departmental side Nepal Armed Police Force (APF) Club on Thursday advanced to the quarter-finals of the Manakamana Cable Car Pokhara Cup with a 2-1 victory over Dharan Football Club.

At the Pokhara Stadium, skipper Ganesh Lawati gave APF a 22nd minute lead only for Dharan to stay alive in the match with an equaliser in the 42nd minute through Razz Paudel. Nabin Lama then struck the winning goal for the departmental side through freekick. Dharan will now meet Everest Football Club of Dharan next.

APF coach Krishna Thapa was not satisfied despite returning with the victory. "My boys seemed lost in the opening stages of the game. We didn't perform as expected. We have to work hard in our next match," said Thapa.

After struggling to find their feet in the first 15 minutes, APF managed to find the back of the net in a perfect manner. Santosh Shrestha set the ball for Lawati inside the box and the skipper slammed home with an acrobatic shot.

The goal woke up Dharan from their slumber and they upped the ante soon. Their hard work paid off when Paudel headed home a cross from Hemanta Thapa Magar.

The momentum shifted and it was Dharan who kept on piling pressure against APF after the break. However, APF scored against the run of play through a 36-yard freekick from Lama.

APF were rewarded the freekick after Dharan's Niraj Basnet was adjudged to have tripped Lawati. Dharan tried their best to level the game but all their efforts went in vain. Ranjan Bista of APF was named man-of-the-match.

Dharan coach Deepak Rai said his team was unable to cope up with the busy domestic schedule. "We came here after competing in the recently concluded Falgunanda Gold Cup in Fidim. Our players were exhausted and to compete against a fit team like APF was a tough assignment. I am still happy with the way our boys played," said Rai.

Content: Kantipur

Police club beats Rupandehi in sudden death

npc vs rupandehi fc

Nepal Police Club registered a hard-fought win over Rupandehi Football Club in sudden death during the Manakamana Cable Car Pokhara Cup Football Tournament at the Pokhara Stadium on Wednesday.

The match was decided by sudden death after both teams played a goalless stalemate in regulation and extra time and the tie-breaker also ended 3-3. In the sudden death, Suraj BK, Hari Kathayat and Dinesh Gurung scored for Police while Rupandehi could score only two goals through Ravi Silwal and Suraj Thing. Hem Tamang´s shot was saved by Rupandehi goalkeeper Dilip Chhetri, while Police goalkeeper Ritesh Thapa denied Nishant Dhungana and Laxman Thapa.

Earlier, Dipen Shrestha, Suman Subedi and Bhola Silwal scored for Police in the penalty shootout, while Jumanu Rai was denied by Dilip and Ajit Bhandari´s shot sailed over the crossbar.

Pukar Gahatraj, Kalu Thapa and Bimal Gharti Magar scored for Rupandehi, while Barsat Gurung was denied by Ritesh and Dona Thapa shot wide.

The match was evenly contested from the onset. Both teams missed some chances in regulation time. Only two minutes into the match Police had the first chance to take the lead when Bhola Silwal picked out Bharat Shah with a free kick, but the latter´s shot from inside the box crashed against the bar.

Rupandehi also failed to break the deadlock in the 15th minute after Ritesh saved Bimal´s close-range header from Dona Thapa´s cross.

Rupandehi keeper Dilip punched Ajit Bhandari´s attempt to safety in the 27th minute. Jumanu´s shot for Police in the 59th minute hit the crossbar. Two minutes later, Kalu Thapa´s attempt for Rupandehi whisked past the post before Dona Thapa´s header from inside the box hit the bar in the 65th minute.

Biswas Shrestha was named the man of the match.

Victorious coach Birat Krishna Shrestha said his team could not establish good coordination and failed to perform to their potential.

"Being the first match of the tournament, it was apparent that we could not coordinate well. But I am sure our performance and coordination will improve as the tournament progresses. We failed to capitalize on our chances in the first half and played the second half under pressure. Though we are capable of playing far better than this, we had to wait until sudden death for the win."

Rupandehi manager Lok Pun said luck did not favor his team though they put up a good performance. "We had to finalize our team in a short time and had little time to adjust. Besides, luck was not on our side. Players gave their best but luck did not favor us."

Police will take on Tribhuvan Army Club in its next match while APF Sports Club will take on Dharan Football Club on Thursday.

Content: Republica

Saraswoti defeat Rolling Club 1-0


Saraswoti Youth Club made winning start to the Manakamana Cable Car Pokhara Cup here on Tuesday.

A solitary goal from Krishna Shakya separated the two teams in the knockout tournament which got under way on Tuesday. Saraswoti made the most of the penalty which they earned in the first half injury time.

Saraswoti were awarded the spot kick after Bikash Gauchan brought down Bimal Rana Magar inside the box. Shakya duly stepped up to convert the penalty which ultimately turned out to be the winner.

The defensive nature of the game was highlighted by Saraswoti coach Pradeep Nepal, who was not satisfied by his team despite the victory. "We need to improve our performance in order to win our next match," said Nepal. "We have very little time to prepare and the team has not gelled in as yet."

Nepal's Rolling Club counterpart Ghambir Rai said that he did not have enough players to field a strong team as some of his players were unable to join them due to another event in Phidim. " I could not field my best team as some the players failed to join us here. We were short of our regular striker and we squandered many opportunities because of that," said Rai.

Nepal Police Club will take on Rupandehi XI on Wednesday. A total of 12 teams including two from Bhutan and Hong Kong are vying for the winners prize of Rs 3,55,000 in the tournament organised by Kaski District Football Association.